Friday, February 21, 2014

Slanted Substrate

Today was the first of many supply trips. My first stop was HD. I bought a roll of 35" x 140' brown builder's paper for tracing the patterns, 8 C-clamps for laminations and assembly, a file, a chisel set, 10 spring clamps, a foam roller with 4 rolls, and 6 paint trays ($133.27 total cost). I intended to pick up some lumber, but found that HD does not have any of the species that I need. As I was leaving HD, I was having buyer's remorse about the brown paper; I stopped at Staples to buy a roll of white paper ($4.25). Next I went to Ring's End to buy wood for the jig, frame, and transom. I picked up 1 board of 3/4" x 4' x 8' Marine Fir Plywood (cut to 3' x 8'), 1 board of 3/4" x 4' x 8' Exterior AC Fir Plywood, 2 lengths of 1" x 4" x 8' poplar, and 2 lengths of 3/4" x 8" x 8' mahogany (rich mahogany...I'm kind of a big deal.) The wood cost me $351.65

I dropped by West Marine to purchase EPOXY. I will be using West Systems 105 with 205, and the pump set. All totaled $174.91. I later revisited Staples to buy carbon paper ($19.66)

The first step of the build is making the jig (Glen-L calls it the "form"). The plans emphasize the need for the jig to be level both longitudinally and latitudinally level. I intended to use the AC plywood as a base under the jig. Before I could even begin, I discovered that the cement garage floor that I plan to build on is angled toward the outside of the house. While I'm sure this is great for draining water away from the house, it's not so great for boat building. I constructed a frame under the AC plywood with with scrap 2" x 4"s. This allowed me to (1) ensure that the ply wood is flat and (2) provided me with the ability to shim and level my building substrate.

Building the Base


Time: 2:50 (Total 5:10)
Cost: $638.74 (Total: $892.07)

No comments:

Post a Comment