Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Swapping Wood

Last night I was planning today's work. The goal was to trace and cut the mahogany sections. When I was moving the wood to my tracing area, I discovered that both lengths were noticeably warped. I exchanged both board and picked up an additional 3/4" x 6" x 5' length ($42.27). The guys at Rings End were very helpful. Pablo told me that to laminate or encapsulate plywood, the protocol is to (1) sand area with 80 sandpaper, (2) brush off excess dust, (3), remove dust particles using tack cloth. 

With straight wood in hand, I cut full-size templates of the mahogany frame components out of the white paper roll from staples (I have to return the brown roll from HD). The plans call for a 13' length of mahogany. Rings End lengths jump from 10' to 20', and at $10.50 a linear foot, I want to minimize waste. It took a bit of thinking time, but I finally figured out the best placement for the cuts. I felt a bit like Gary Sinise in Apollo 13 when he finds the perfect sequence for powering up the Command Module. 

Anywho, the 3/4" x 6" x 5' length I picked up today turned out to be a bit to small. REMEMBER, 6" really means 5.5". I'll be swapping that for an 8" x 5' tomorrow morning. I'll also drop by HD to buy a table saw to rip the mahogany. Everyone likes new tools!
Templates on Mahogany
Time:  5:00 (Total 17:30)
Cost: $42.27 (Total: $938.33)



No comments:

Post a Comment